"I really enjoyed this course and feel it will benefit the children's needs in my class. It has definitely changed my perspective on behaviour.."Nurture Practitioner
Success at school leads to success in life. Children and young people who attend school regularly attain well, learn to make friends, and are significantly more likely to find skilled employment, to avoid antisocial or criminal behaviour and to enjoy good mental health. Most children start school with confidence and enthusiasm, but some do not. They do not respond to the teaching offered, either withdrawing or behaving aggressively to teachers and fellow pupils. These children will make little progress and may reach the stage of exclusion, a damaging experience for the child and sometimes the last straw that leads troubled families to breakdown. They also have a profound and negative effect on other pupils, interfering with their work, taking more than their share of their teacher’s attention and generally lowering class morale. Much of this can be prevented. For more than 40 years, nurture groups have been demonstrating that, with the right help and support, such children and young people can successfully and cost-effectively be included in mainstream schools.
Brief overview of the course
• The practicalities of setting up and running a nurture group – early years, primary and secondary
• Up-to-date research in attachment theory and neuroscience
• Child development and learning
• Developing an in-depth understanding of the Boxall Profile and using it to refer children and young people, set targets and put in place practical strategies to support a smooth transition back into class
• Developing the curriculum
• Monitoring and evaluation through a structured, evidence-based, planned approach
This course is suitable for those who wish to set up and run a nurture group. It is also suitable for practitioners who want to adopt a more nurturing approach while working with children who have social, emotional and/or behavioural difficulties.
Delegate resource pack will include:
- Updated course materials
- A copy of the BP/BPYP Handbook
- A copy of Beyond the Boxall Profile Strategies and Resources/Beyond the Boxall Profile for Young People Strategies and Resources publications
- Assignment documentation including guidance, FAQ and framework
All delegates will have the opportunity to submit an assignment at nurtureuk certified level.
You can find all our upcoming courses in the Midlands below: