The International Journal of Nurture in Education
The International Journal for Nurture in Education aims to attract papers that will explore themes related to nurture in education in the context of emotional and mental wellbeing. The Journal presents the most up-to-date research on how nurture principles and practice, in nurture groups and in the whole-school setting, improve the socio-emotional functioning and academic achievement of all children and young people, including the most disadvantaged.
Research demonstrating the effectiveness of nurture groups tends to be spread over publications in differing fields. The International Journal of Nurture in Education aims to be a focal point to channel all relevant research and findings.
The intended readership for the Journal includes researchers in the field, practising psychologists, special needs practitioners, school leaders, nurture practitioners, consultants and local authority officers and others concerned with school improvement.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The call for papers for the Volume 6 of the International Journal of Nurture in Education which will mark the 50th anniversary of nurture in British schools is now open.
Volume 5 (2019) is under production and will be available in July 2019.
Volume 4 (2018) - available here.
- Tristan Middleton, Working with children with social, emotional and mental health needs in a nurture group setting: the professional and personal impact
- Jennifer Burns, Alison MacDonald and Dr Nancy Ferguson, Improving pupils’ perceptions of the learning environment through enhanced nurturing approaches: an evaluation
- Dr Heather Geddes, Attachment and learning – the links between early experiences and responses in the classroom
- Christina Symeonidou and Dr Anna Robinson, Scottish teachers’ experiences of the effectiveness of nurture groups in supporting autistic children
- Dr Florence J. M. Ruby, Social emotional wellbeing of primary school pupils: insights from the Boxall Childhood Project
Volume 3 (2017) - available here.
- Lisa Lyon "A pilot study of the effectiveness of a nurture group in a secondary special school"
- Jacqueline Perkins "Improving our practice: a small-scale study of a secondary nurture group"
- Fiona Durrant "Nurture and youth work: aiding transition"
- Carol Kennedy "Knitting and nurturing: a qualitative account of staff reflections on knitting with pupils"
Volume 2 (2016) - available here.
- Claire Balisteri, "Nurture groups and teacher-child relationships"
- Tapo Chimbganda, "Investing in student success through nurturing in universities"
- Jenny Fraser-Smith and Kirsty Henry, "A systemic evaluation of a nurture group in Scotland"
- Jo Warin and Rebecca Hibbin, "A study of nurture groups as a window into school relationships"
Volume 1 (2015) - available here.
- Hanna Bennett, "Results of the systematic review on nurture groups' effectiveness”
- Jessamine Chiappella, "An exploration of outcomes and mechanisms of change in part-time secondary school nurture groups“
- Tommy MacKay, "Future directions for nurture in education“
- Ali Pyle and Tina Rae, "Exploring parents' and children's perceptions of nurture groups"
- Edurne Scott Loinaz, "Comparing nurture group provision to one-to-one counselling"
To receive a paper copy of previous volumes, please contact Melisa Meakin at firstname.lastname@example.org